Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Artist's Daughter

I am not a huge New Year's Resolution type girl, but I did start 2014 with a few goals in mind. One begin that I want to read more -- both fiction and nonfiction books throughout the year. The Artist's Daughter is the theme book for MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) this year and one of my MOPS friends led a book study in February. Of course, eager to continue plugging into the church and MOPS and anxious to check a title off the goal of the month I jumped in.


This inspiring story goes through the life of Alexandra Kuykendall and how her parents and their decisions shaped her. When discussing the book, we found that the same is true in our own lives. Decisions that we make for ourselves and our children often stem from experiences of our past -- be it good or bad.

I appreciated how real Alexandra's story is. It is one that twists and turns through excitement, rejection, pain, finding Jesus, meeting her husband, dealing with life, making friends, having babies, losing friends, losing loved ones, and being here to tell about it all. She was open about how situations made her who she is today and how she is going to take those experiences to become a better wife, mother, and friend. I encourage anyone who wants a gentle push to be "the real you," someone who isn't afraid to be real about what life throws at you, to pick up this book. I promise it will not disappoint.

1 comment:

Sarah Cornett said...

I've been needing a new book to read! I'll have to check this one out.