Thursday, June 19, 2014

Where'd You Go, Bernadette?


** Please forgive me for the lack of character in this post. I've been traveling and am publishing from my phone**

Now on to Bernadette ...  I enjoyed the book and was taken by the twist at the end. Like most books it took me a while to get into it , but once I made time to read I really loved the book. I found the mother/daughter relationship to be the most intriguing part of the book. The book is told from Bee's point of view -- and she thought her mother hung the moon. I liked seeing Bernadette from Bee's perspective because it was honest about her crazy habits and strange tendencies, yet it showed she did have the heart to care about someone. 

At the beginning of the book I thought Elgie was a hard-working father who was just consumed with his work, but as the truth unraveled I began to think he used work to escape his life. I think he used it to escape Bernadette and her shenanigans and to escape the delapidating Striaght Gate. Do you agree? 

On the Straight Gate note -- do you think the property is symbolic of Bernadette and her life? It has huge potential, but lacks care  and love so it is crumbling around the family as they live together yet apart. 

Antarctica -- how random is that?? I found it interesting that  Bernadette and Elgie promised Bee anything she wanted if her grades were a certain standard. Bee chose to visit Antarctica. I learned a lot about the continent and was fascinated by the details Maria Sempler, the author, included. Do you honk rewarding grades and behaviors that are expected is okay? My famy just discussed this last weekend and we land all over the map in how we feel. 

What did you think about the writing structure? I thought it helped make this book a quick read. I enjoyed getting varying stories and perspectives on the same events in the book. Were you completely thrown for a loop at the end with Audrey's long confession? That made me have a little more compassion for her! 

At the end,, when all the pieces to the puzzle came out, I was dumbfounded as how smart and strategic  Maria Sempler is. I cannot imagine writing a book with so many secrets, varying points-of-view, and the literal man-hunt for Bernadette. I commend Maria for her work and rumor has it ttgat a film company has bought the rights to the book to turn it into a movie soon! 

I truly enjoyed this book and I look forward to hearing what you think, too. This is a very free book club -- you can answer the questions posed or you can leave your own thoughts. Please leave comments and we can interact about Bernadette. 

The next book and date will be announced on Monday. Two weeks from today is  July fourth, so perhaps well do Thursday that week. Take care and have a good weekend!! 


2 comments:

suzyhgoodwin said...

I also enjoyed it, especially the satirical view of the "one percent" In Seattle. Did you know Semple used to be a writer on Arrested Development?

Bee choosing Antarctica? I didn't think it was random at all- she thinks BIG and is there really a bigger adventure than Antarctica?!

Personally, I could relate to Bernadette putting EVERYTHING into other projects (the glass house) while going through the fertility stuff. I think a lot of women do that to purposely busy their minds.

Kristin said...

Oh, dear. This is on my list and I had so many intentions of getting to it before today. (The library at Ft. Carson is shockingly small though.) I've been doing strictly audiobooks these days and I've only got 2 done for the month of June. I need to get onto #3.

I'm going to start Teacher Man by Frank McCourt. My grandmother recommended it to me years ago and I never got around to finishing it.