Thursday, April 10, 2014

Spring Fever

Woo Hoo for Book Club! This was my Book Club's inaugural month and we chose to start with Mary Kay Andrews' Spring Fever. When first trying to pick a book, we wanted something light and airy, and our first several choices were yet to be released. We settled on this book and I couldn't put it down. I read the book in four days and every night that Tyler saw me pick it up he said, "Oh, the book again!"


I enjoyed the book because I could relate. The story is set in a small, *fictional,* Eastern North Carolina town not too far from Fayetteville. Pinehurst,  Fayetteville, Moore County, and Vass are real places that are within an hour's drive of my home and are mentioned throughout the book. One character went to Wake Forest, one to UNC and another to NC State. The main character, Mason, was a counselor at Camp Seagull one summer, which is the brother camp of where I was counselor one summer. I had a lot of connections and could truly visualize where the characters were.

The book revolves around the Bayless family, a Southern family who started a regional, cherry soft drink called Quixie (loosely based on the family and story of Cheerwine from Salisbury, NC). Mason Bayless and Annajane Hudgens are star-crossed lovers that are given every opportunity to make their high-school romance something more permanent, yet somehow find excuse after excuse to deviate from it.

I enjoyed the twists and turns throughout the book and the secrets that each character had; some that were hidden right to the end of the book.

I highly suggest this book as a mind-less, fun read, particularly if you like drama, romance, and all that small, Southern towns have to offer.

No comments: