Thursday, April 10, 2014

My Military Children

I not only have the privilege of raising military children, but I had the unique opportunity to teach them for 2.5 years before I had my own. When I think of the military, these children are the true heroes because they do not choose this life nor do they sign any dotted line. They move around, transfer between schools, live without their soldier parent from time to time, and are still some of the most wonderful children I've ever met.

I was very afraid of the military life -- particularly for my *unborn* children -- and I didn't date Tyler for a while because of that. I was afraid they would be uneducated, they would have no friends, and most certainly would not live near family. Although my children are only 2.5 years old and 7 months old, I can already tell you this could not be farther from the truth. They get an education unlike anything I had in my small town for 18 stable years. Caroline was born in Alaska and has driven across the United States -- something few adults can say they've done. She has lived in three states already and has made friends in all places.

My children experience a marriage that relies solely on verbal communication when Tyler is away, they appreciate the moments they get to talk with Daddy and most certainly the meals we have with him because he does go away from time to time. They see a Mommy who, although she prefers Daddy is home, can survive without him for a bit. They see that loving someone doesn't mean having them physically there every moment of every day and just because they miss a big event doesn't mean they don't care.

Here are a few precious pictures when Tyler came home from Afghanistan last October. They bring tears to my eyes because Caroline did not miss a beat -- she saw Tyler walk in in formation and didn't take her eyes off of him until she was asleep in the car on the way home that night.









My military children will no longer be military children come March 1 of next year, but I hope many of the values and experiences they would have had as military children can be translated to the civilian world as we make that leap.

I linked up with my first Army friend, Kate, at Daffodil's today. Check it out!

6 comments:

Karen said...

Oh my goodness - the pictures are so sweet. I just love homecoming pictures. :)

Kate @ Daffodils said...

These pictures slay me

Amanda said...

Such sweet pictures! Nothing like some good homecoming pictures to make a fellow military spouse tear up!

Stopping by from the link up!

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are just the sweetest!

Jenny @ Creatively Blooming said...

Love, love, love what you said about how your kids see marriage! And the homecoming pictures are the sweetest! My Charlotte has the same dress (or one very very similar) as your Caroline. Gotta love smocking!

Anonymous said...

What sweet, sweet photos!