Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Airport

Many people avoid flying especially when flying alone with children, but I have had to fly alone with Caroline a few times and this weekend a few special strangers thought I was alone with the girls. I try to be as efficient as possible and I pack our carry-ons for security -- laptop, liquids, medicine, and the girls' food all in one bag and easy to extract quickly. I also ensure we have empty water bottles going through security and I fill them at restaurant on the other side. When I'm through security, I spend a few minutes repacking and readjusting things for the plane and then we're on our way.

I may be in the minority, but I generally find that people are so kind at the airport. When I am standing at the end of the bridge to get on the plane juggling a baby and bags trying to to break down the stroller, inevitably someone asks how they can help. The gentleman who checked us in on Sunday asked if my Mom was flying with us, if not he was going to give her a gate pass to help me through security ... seriously, a little faith was restored in the human race last weekend when traveling. If you see a mommy juggling babies, bags and strollers, don't hesitate to ask how you can help -- I guarantee it will make her day. 

On a related, but different note, I had a great experience at the Nashville airport waiting at the gate. There was a little playground that provided an outlet for my girls energy before hopping on the plane. They played for about an hour and loved every minute of it! 









No comments: