Friday, March 30, 2012

Day Four: The Redwood Forest

The Redwood Forest might have been the place I was most excited about visiting on this move, and today was the day! :) We left Coos Bay, Oregon for Eureka, California with a detour around the Redwood Forest this morning. Again, I picked Eureka because it was a big dot on US-101 after the Redwood Forest.

This morning we woke-up to rain and it. did. not. stop. IT RAINED ALL DAY. We knew the Pacific Northwest was a wet part of the country, but we didn't realize that it can rain along hundreds of miles of the coast, over the course of the day without letting up.


Despite the rain, we had a great day. Again, Caroline and Bella did well, and Tyler was a fantastic driver through all the rain. And even though it rained I loved the Redwood Forest. If you ever have the opportunity ... please go!! The forest is so very neat. We did not get out much because of Caroline, sink holes, flooding and the rain, but I took some pictures of the Oregon/California coast and the Forest from the car. Tyler and I did venture out once at a turn-out while Caroline was sleeping (this isn't as scary as it sounds ... we were right beside the car). I was sad to not hike at all and to have had to miss Fern Canyon (really sad about that), but it was still beautiful and I'm so glad we drove through!

 First glimpse of the Pacific Ocean on this vacation.



 Caroline getting her first stamp in her National Parks Passport. Thanks, Sara, for the wonderful idea!!







 That stuff that appears to be almost glowing is moss. The trees look velvety from the moss. It is the most bizarre, cool thing ever. This moss was on trees along the Oregon coast all the way through the Forest. I think it is neat.

 This is how Bella PCSes.

We arrived in Eureka in the early afternoon because we were unable to hike as much as expected, so we continued on to Ukiah. This was another 373 mile drive. One that we didn't anticipate, but we made with few stops and a happy child and dog. We have far less to drive tomorrow and no driving over the weekend.

2 comments:

Kate @ Daffodils said...

Gah, I cant believe we were in Seattle at the same time and I didnt know! Come to Monterey next :)

Eliza :: Case Study said...

Hi there! Visiting via Kate's blog...excited to follow along and read about your trip :) When I graduated my Mom + Sisters + I took a trip around the US and kept a blog while we did. It's such an amazing keepsake to have now!! xo, Eliza