Monday, April 19, 2010

Tobacco Season is Officially Here!

Although the greenhouse has been planted for roughly eight weeks, the season officially starts tomorrow because the plants are leaving the greenhouse and going into the fields! This year Daddy and Sam have 220 acres, which will keep them more than busy. I LOVE the farm, everything about it. Hopefully Mama will send pictures regularly so I can see the changes and growth this season. The first few pictures were taken while I was on Spring Break and the plants were only two weeks old. The final two pictures are from Mama ... they were taken on Saturday.

Cheers to you, Daddy and Sam, I'm praying for a heck of a season!

One half of the greenhouse; each half has three bays. You can see a bit of green peaking out!
My Daddy. In one of his favorite places. He is calculating several figures for us. There are six bays (see one above), and each bay contains 616 trays which equals 3,696 trays. One tray holds 288 plants ... that equals 1,064,448 plants which seems like a lot, but really that is only 177 acres if every plant comes up.
Two week old plants ... they look like tiny, unsymmetrical four leaf clovers.
Popping up.
Eight week old plants.
Closer up.

6 comments:

vanzandtjnm said...

Fantastic pics ! Keep up the blogs on the continuing growth of the tobacco crop and on into the harvest. You have an amazing farm family. We love your blogs and we love you both.
Pop Pop and Mimi VZ

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, I just left the farm taking pictures of the first day of planting for you! I will get the up as quickly as possible. I love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm learning more by your blog in ALASKA! Great resource and history for later.

Love ya',

Pat

Unknown said...

Ginna you should incorporate journalism into your business folio...everything is so vivid...I feel like I am there. We love you..Gram

mama becca said...

Ooooh Pete loved this :).

Jackie: said...

That is SO COOL!